The 17-acre former Cascade Pole Company (CPC) site and adjacent parcels of land are owned by the Port of Olympia. From 1930 to 1957, numerous wood-treating companies leased this land from the Port. The companies used chemicals to preserve wood products such as utility poles and railroad ties. From 1957 until 1986, CPC operated a wood treatment facility on the site. Their above-ground structures were dismantled, cleaned and disposed of off-site in 1990.
In 1990, the Department of Ecology, Port of Olympia and CPC entered into an agreement to start environmental remediation at the site. Remediation activities include:
• installation of a sheet pile and slurry wall to contain contaminants within the site
• an on-site pumping and treatment system to remove contaminants from groundwater
• excavation and containment of contaminated soils and sediments
• capping of upland areas and replacement of offshore sediments
The Port recently replaced and upgraded the on-site water treatment system and capital projects required by Ecology on the site are nearly complete. In the future, the site will be redeveloped as part of the Port's marine terminal and marina support areas, and shoreline public access will be provided.
For More Information
View more information about the Cascade Pole site cleanup by visiting the Department of Ecology's website on this topic.